In the last few years EUMM – in coordination with other EU and international actors - has traditionally marked the 16 Days of Activism against Gender Violence by supporting activities carried out at grass-roots level with a view to granting them increased visibility, empowering them and making their initiatives more sustainable.
This year, in a spirit of continuity, EUMM is organizing a “White Ribbon” campaign throughout the 16 Days of Activism, from 25 November to 10 December. When going on patrol in villages along the Administrative Boundary Lines with South Ossetia and Abkhazia, EU monitors would distribute “white ribbons” to community members and use this as an incentive to introduce EUMM, the 16 Days of Activism campaign and the issue of gender based violence in general. Monitors will be provided with supporting material.
White ribbons have become an internationally recognized symbol for the fight against gender based violence. Wearing a white ribbon is a personal pledge to never commit, condone or remain silent about violence against women and girls.
Besides the distribution of “white ribbons” by EU monitors, EUMM will also facilitate or support the following activities in coordination with other EU- or international actors and with the view of empowering existing grass-roots initiatives:
• Workshops/presentations and facilitated discussion with schoolchildren on topics related to gender, human rights and the 16 Days of Activism will be held at the Field Offices;
• Cinema nights screening empowering films for youth in will be organised by Field Office Zugdidi;
• EUMM stall/corner will be set up with support of the Press and Public Information Unit visibility items at the municipality event in Ksani with the Civic Club supported by the Mtskheta Mtianeti Gender Equality Network;
• EUMM gender advisor will attend the Information Sharing Meeting and presentation on 26 November focused on the 16 Day campaign;
• Round table discussions with local police will be held;
• Participation in Ministry of Internal Affairs public relations initiative raising awareness about domestic violence in Zugdidi region;
• Attendance of NGO roundtable featuring local self-government, leaders, church representation to be held in the framework of the 16 Days of Activism;
• Participation in an event at a school for disabled children in Sachkhere on 03 December, International Day of Disabled Persons, giving a presentation, organizing an info stand and handing out EUMM informational material for children;
• Football match with participation of the Field Office Gori team vs. Gori Cultural Centre will be organized within the spirit of the campaign.